Tin Shop Tartan - Randolph County Alabama's Own Snarky and Surly Scot Gets All Native

Blogging from the suburbs of the Tin Shop community, Captain Plaid brings Progressivism, and a share of Quixotic angst, to the ridges and hollows of Randolph County, Alabama. Hardly a booster yet rooted here enough to fight, Plaidsters can perhaps find like cause in trying to build local solutions to global concerns. Education, environment, economy, entertainment, engagement ... Trust the Tartan!

Thursday, May 04, 2006

HMS School Uniforms - Window Dressing at Best

Penny Pool of The Randolph Leader reports "School uniforms being discussed for Handley Middle School" with research and anecdotal claims presented to support the decision. While I could care less, the research is hardly conclusive. This applies to safety, academics, "self esteem", and certainly being "tardy". Studies are limited, flawed, over variabled, etc. Might not hurt yet I'd be much more interested in real reforms and focus. That we are seeing so much concern over this minor factor is disconcerting. I'll not bother dropping in links to studies or even offering what might really create change yet if somebody requests the same I'll surely share. I've spent four years in a Middle School and would like to think I'm qualified to offer a reasoned opinion. Since the boy attends HMS I'm interested. However, I know plenty of other factors are in play. We will adapt to whatever they want to have him wear but ultimately his learning is not going to be related to "fabric". Peace ... or War!