Tin Shop Tartan - Randolph County Alabama's Own Snarky and Surly Scot Gets All Native

Blogging from the suburbs of the Tin Shop community, Captain Plaid brings Progressivism, and a share of Quixotic angst, to the ridges and hollows of Randolph County, Alabama. Hardly a booster yet rooted here enough to fight, Plaidsters can perhaps find like cause in trying to build local solutions to global concerns. Education, environment, economy, entertainment, engagement ... Trust the Tartan!

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Handley High Renovations - WOW!

I made it to "Open House" and was thrilled with what I saw. Randolph Leader picture accompanying the article on the event is worth the click plus there are details that I need not share. Yes, it took far too long and likely cost way too much but I'm still so happy for Roanoke students and educators.

Schools are an investment for our future. If in fact Roanoke/Randolph County hopes to attract satellite plants for KIA, or any industry/business/talent for that matter, having a wonderful facility such as I saw today has to help. I hope Roanoke will now start tackling downtown. In the county we need an animal shelter fully funded, building codes, Highway 431/22 improvements, taxed and legal alcohol sales, new blood in lots of positions, a new and improved Alabama Constitution allowing more home rule, a high speed wired county, etc.

On a personal note I also enjoying returning to my alma mater. I also taught at HHS in 1987-88. I saw only a few colleagues left from my teaching days and I think only one teacher there when I was a student. Walking those halls and visiting my old classroom helped me think about how much the world, including our little chunk here in East Alabama, has changed. No air conditioning back in the day! No computers! No internet! Think about the world twenty years down the road. Are we really educating kids for the jobs/world of the future?

I also bumped into Mayor Bonner. I told him I'd emailed him and I'd like to have him check his email. I really do want to hear what he has to say about this.

Finally, I also talked with Deputy Chris May and confirmed that he will be running for the Randolph County Circuit Clerk slot vacated by Kim S. Benefield. With no hesitation, I guarantee Chris would make a fine Circuit Clerk. I taught Chris, coached him as best as I could in junior high, and have know he and Autumn for many years. He's smart and polite and honest. I told him he'd be less likely to get hurt clerking than playing Deputy and eventually High Sheriff. He'd have more certain hours and likely less stress. That would mean much a family man that I know he is.

Peace ... or War!