Tin Shop Tartan - Randolph County Alabama's Own Snarky and Surly Scot Gets All Native

Blogging from the suburbs of the Tin Shop community, Captain Plaid brings Progressivism, and a share of Quixotic angst, to the ridges and hollows of Randolph County, Alabama. Hardly a booster yet rooted here enough to fight, Plaidsters can perhaps find like cause in trying to build local solutions to global concerns. Education, environment, economy, entertainment, engagement ... Trust the Tartan!

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Some Solutions for Randolph County Children?

I attended a meeting at the courthouse examining treatment options for juveniles and adults that are or might be facing criminal charges. Good presentations from several folks that I'll return to when I have more time. Partial solutions maybe from an initial think yet it was good to see some concern. Again, I'll return to these complex issues.

I also was able walk around Wedowee and was thrilled with some of the antiques and art and florists and ... I know lake traffic drives lots of their economy yet the rest of the county could perhaps tap this market as well. Their wide street makes their arrangement less ideal compared to what could be a more intimate setting in Roanoke and Wadley. Yet at least their buildings aren't falling down.

Rode up to my not so humble abode up on Lake Wedowee. If a little more humble, I might still own it and not have had such an adventure these last few years. Was a little disappointed in some of the development as it was somewhat tacky. Looking at the lakefront makes me think that area is really congested and tight compared to other portions of the reservoir. Still, this lake is amazing. I hope we can manage to create some more appropriate locations for the public to be able to enjoy this lake. So far Alabama Power has hardly done all they could do to serve the lower hald of the county on this one.

Which leads me to my last issue. I talked with a few folks on the wet-dry issue. I'm all for it and what it could lead to for our county. I think some leadership from just a few forward thinking people could make a difference here. More posts to follow on this issue for certain yet the thing comes down to what it always does ... preachers and bootleggers, including the legal efforts across the lines. If young folks will get out and vote with some older folks willing to speak against the fundamentalists then it will pass.

So what does the above have to do with children. Education and helping and opportunity and recreation and money and modernity and ... working together. Peace ... or War!