Tin Shop Tartan - Randolph County Alabama's Own Snarky and Surly Scot Gets All Native

Blogging from the suburbs of the Tin Shop community, Captain Plaid brings Progressivism, and a share of Quixotic angst, to the ridges and hollows of Randolph County, Alabama. Hardly a booster yet rooted here enough to fight, Plaidsters can perhaps find like cause in trying to build local solutions to global concerns. Education, environment, economy, entertainment, engagement ... Trust the Tartan!

Monday, July 10, 2006

El Cabrero of Goat Rope writes on Social Capital

Tip of the tam to Susan G at Daily Kos for getting me to Goat Rope. Economic and social justice in West Virginia ought to be a fertile field, as is true for our Highlands here in Randolph County. I like the images of the critters as well. El Cabrero, who is likely Rick Wilson from my scratching about, has been doing the blogging since about February, as has yours truly.

His posts on being "lonely" spoke to me and I wanted to share.

LONELY AMERICA: THE HIGH COST OF LOW SOCIAL CAPITAL deals with the existence of "civic privatism".
LONELY AMERICA: THE BASICS OF SOCIAL CAPITAL is mainly built off the work of Robert Putnam, author of "Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community" that talks of bonding and bridging plus plenty more.
LONELY AMERICA: SOCIAL CAPITAL AND MONEY CAPITAL covers thinkers from Durkheim to Weber to Marx to Tocqueville to ... with the bottom line for me being that hyper -capitalism and globalization are both true barriers to associations that indeed do matter.
LONELY AMERICA: REBUILDING SOCIAL CAPITAL is the wind up post.

I really liked the way El Cabrero examined these complex issues. I often think of how isolated I feel here in the boonies where the average person can quote NASCAR stats yet hardly engage in discourse on anything of substance. I'll want to ponder on his writing for a while yet I do appreciate his sharing and hope it might help the few folks that drop by here. Peace ... or War!